Championing against Domestic and Emotional Abuse (Volunteering Initiative)
We aim to develop a local community network of domestic abuse champions from a range of socio-cultural backgrounds and experiences (lived and/or professional) to raise awareness on domestic and emotional abuse across Telford and Wrekin. The role of the Champions is key to bring about positive changes in attitudes, culture and awareness of domestic and emotional abuse.
In light of the current changing situation on COVID-19 lockdown, we will be soon running an online Zoom focus group briefing on to update interested volunteers on the potential opportunities available through this initiative and also to get other ideas on how we could go forward raising awareness about domestic and emotional abuse during this changing and unsettling time.
If interested, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org
What do you need to have?
For this initiative, we are specifically seeking volunteers who have lived experiences of domestic abuse and/or practitioners and also other professionals whose work brings them into close contact with people affected by domestic abuse.
You don’t need specific qualifications or skills but you’ll need to:
- Be professional and approachable
- Be non-judgmental and respect views, values and cultures that are different to your own
- Have good IT skills
- Be calm under pressure
- Be willing to learn about and follow the Citizens Advice aims, principles and policies, including confidentiality and data protection
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and commitment to promoting awareness on Domestic and Emotional Abuse
- Be willing to attend and participate at the Domestic Abuse Forums
- Be willing to learn, share and contribute to best practices in order to influence and shape the development of local support services and interventions
- Be willing to participate in on-going training and peer support meetings organised for the role
Date Published: 20 Jan 2021